Call for Abstracts
Please note that due to ongoing strict entry restrictions to China, the 10th International Freiberg Conference on IGCC & XtL Technologies – scheduled from 18-23 September 2022 in Shanghai, China – will be postponed as a physical event to September 2023. In 2022, a physical conference will take place instead in Freiberg, Germany.
The “2022 International Freiberg Conference on Waste Gasification – Syngas & Hydrogen from Challenging Secondary Feedstock” will take place from 19-21 September 2022 in Freiberg, Germany. Deadline for abstract submission is 10th June 2022.
Waste gasification offers an alternative to incineration and landfilling for the large quantities of mixed, unsorted, contaminated and challenging waste fractions which are not suitable for mechanical recycling or pyrolysis. In enabling the use of such carbon-containing waste fractions as alternative feedstock to conventional resources (i.e. crude oil, natural gas, coal) for chemical production, it has the potential to make a substantial contribution to the transition towards a low carbon, circular and hydrogen economy. Moreover, the integration of renewable electricity in gasification also enables a lowering of the CO2 footprint and facilitates the storage of energy in products Despite this potential, numerous socio-technological-economical-ecological-political questions and issues associated with the development and project deployment of waste gasification remain to be answered/resolved.
The event focuses on the opportunities, challenges and developments in thermo-chemical conversion of a wide range of challenging carbon-containing waste streams into synthesis gas and/or hydrogen for chemical utilization. The call for abstracts is open for oral and poster presentations, as well as suggestions for breakout sessions.
Interactive Conference Format to relaunch network among conference participants!
- Training for Professionals – “Compact Course Chemical Recycling: Waste Gasification”
- Oral Conference Presentations
- Poster Presentations & networking sessions
- Breakout Sessions (interactive small group discussions focused on specific topics)
Topics for oral and poster presentations include:
1. Feedstock & treatment processes
- Mixed, unsorted, contaminated and challenging carbon-containing feedstock for waste gasification (MSW, RDF/SRF, mixed plastic waste residues, sewage sludge, ocean waste, biowaste, agricultural and animal waste, carbon- and glass fiber composites, automobile shredder, petcoke, oil residues, …),
- Waste treatment and preparation (collection, sorting, crushing, agglomeration, baling, torrefaction …),
- Mechanical-physical (drying, feeding, deashing, …) and thermo-chemical conversion processes (e.g. LHV, reaction pathways, reaction kinetics)
- Analytics, characterization and quality control of heterogeneous feedstock, trace components, contaminants, feedstock quality limits
2. Conversion processes, technologies & products
- Waste gasification processes and technologies (entrained-flow, fluidized-bed, fixed-bed, plasma, combined processes, integration of renewable H2, CO2, N2 …),
- Adaptations for special waste streams
- Adaptations for chemical products (e.g. Methanol, Ethanol, DME, FT, MtO, Ammonia) and hydrogen
- Waste feeding and pressurizing, ash/slag treatment, post-gasification, waste water free operation, …
- Electrification of conversion processes and technologies (e.g. application of plasma, microwave heating, inductive heating, …)
- Emissions, waste water and solid disposals
- Downstream processes for syngas and H2 utilization
3. Modeling & integrated assessment
- CFD modeling of sub-processes and overall process,
- Concept evaluations and flow sheet simulation of waste gasification; process stages and value-chain (TEA – Techno-economic analyses, LCA – life cycle assessments),
- Risk assessment,
- Pros and cons analysis; scenario studies
4. Projects, trends and experiences
- Industrial project development, industrial demonstration projects, industrial operation experience
- Perspectives from gasification technology developers, …
- Perspectives and needs from waste providers, (petro)chemical industries, recycling industries, hydrogen economy, wood industries, automobile industries, agriculture industries, retail, business and trade, farming, …
- Trends and drivers (zero-waste cities, circular carbon economy, chemical/advanced recycling, hydrogen economy, electrification, ….),
- National/global boundary conditions (social, economic, regulatory, political) ….
Conference participants will have the chance to attend a compact waste gasification training course (limited to 20 participants) before the start of the conference. Besides a welcome reception at the Terra Mineralia and the conference dinner at Reiche Zeche, the conference also includes technical tour to IEC’s numerous pilot gasification facilities, as well as the chance for external site tours to waste treatment and recycling facilities.
Please note that the conference will be held as a physical event in Freiberg, Germany. Onsite participation will be carried out according to COVID-19 safety precautions.
Notification of abstract acceptance will be sent out to the authors by 4th July 2022. Please refer to the author guidelines for further details. All accepted presentations/posters/symposiums will be published online after the conference on the archive website with the ISSN 2363-8702.
We look forward to welcoming you to the 2022 International Freiberg Conference on waste gasification in September this year!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Our warmest greetings,
Your International Freiberg Conference Organization Team